Monday, April 21, 2014

Brown Chicken Stock

Mario's brown chicken stock recipe is used on several occasions throughout the cookbook and is definitely something every home cook should have in their repertoire.  You really don't even need a recipe for stock, but if it's your first time making one then this will serve as a perfect guide. 

The good news is that you can make as much or as little stock as you desire at a time and it freezes very well for later use. There are several ways to make it, none really better than the other, but doing it this way produced a rich stock nonetheless. 

The main point behind making your own stocks is threefold. First, you'll find stock used in many sauces and soups so you'll certainly need it. Second, the end product is so much better tasting than any store bought stock or broth. And third, it really nails home one of the themes of this book that nothing goes to waste. 

I started by browning some chicken bones and scraps in a stockpot with some olive oil. I didn't buy the bones, that would defeat the purpose. I keep a bag of bones in my freezer and when it is full, it's time to make stock. I had just the right amount that I needed. Get some good caramelization on those bones too. 



There's also another approach at this stage, besides using chicken parts, that will work just as well. I often cook a whole roasted chicken for dinner and after removing what pieces everyone wants to eat, what I have left is a carcass that's well browned and perfect for stock. It can also be frozen until needed at a later time. Again, nothing goes to waste. 

Next, I remove the bones and cook some roughly chopped mirepoix (onions, carrots, celery) until soft. 




I then returned the bones back to the pot with the mirepoix and added some peppercorns, parsley stems, and tomato paste. It gets covered with water and simmered for several hours until reduced by half. 




When finished it gets strained well, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. 



Then cool it down and put it in storage containers for another time. Oh, and don't forget to label and date the finished results. Chefs are always this organized at work and it makes sense to be the same way at home. How many times have you looked at that thing in your refrigerator not knowing what it is or when it was made?



Like I said, this is a solid approach to stock making. With this stock out of the way, I can save lots of time later on when I make a dish out of the cookbook that requires it. In fact, I used some of this stock for the next recipe. 

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment