Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Goat Cheese Truffles Three Ways with Peperonata

Happy New Year!! It's finally 2016 Whoop Whoop!!

I'll spare you any false promises of New Years resolutions because I know I don't plan on exercising at all this year. I think being more charitable, making big progress with this blog, and learning as much as I can about fatherhood is about all that you'll get out of me. 

2015 was a long year. Looking back, I'm just glad that I survived it. In January of 2015, my wife and I started a new tradition where every time something good happens in our life throughout the year, we write it down on paper and put it in a mason jar. Then, on New Year's of the next year you look at all of the notes of the year past. It sounded kind of corny to me at first,but it actually was fun to look back at our year and to count all of the good things that we experienced throughout the year. We're going to continue this tradition in 2016. 

This year should prove to be an amazing one. I have a new job at a great restaurant, some family members getting married soon, a baby on the way, and a blog with recipes that are just about to start getting more complex in nature. 

Every time I put those orange clogs on I have a renewed spark to continue on with this project. I want to eat at Babbo so bad. That's the prize at the end of this of course. My wife promised me a pilgrimage and that's what I am working towards. I think it would be best if we stay in NYC for a few days so that one night we can eat a la carte off the menu then try a tasting menu the next night. Wine pairing too? Of course it's Babbo! (Hint,hint)

Before I start off the first official recipe of the year, I do have some sad news to report. After I finished writing the last post, I checked out Mario's Facebook page and was saddened to hear that Gina DePalma, the original pastry chef of Babbo who was also credited in the book as to creating most of the desserts that I'll be making here, lost her battle to ovarian cancer. She was a great chef that will certainly be missed and her desserts challenge and inspire many! 



I chose another cheese-laden antipasto for my first recipe this year. It's a pretty simple one to put together that looks impressive when plated so let's get started. 

I start by reading my ingredient list and make sure that I have what I need and to see if I have any prep work to complete. Red and yellow peppers will need to be julienned to make the peperonata. 


I start to make the peperonata by heating olive oil in a sauté pan until almost smoking and add the peppers that cook until browned and softened. 


At that point, I add sherry vinegar, salt, and pepper and set it aside to cool. 

I then take goat cheese, season it, and shape it into balls. I chose a locally made goat cheese from Westfield Farm that tasted so good. 


The goat cheese balls then get rolled in three different coatings. Fennel pollen, poppy seeds, and ground pimenton. 


I get my broiler preheated and bring water up to a boil. In the water I blanch fresh arugula for about 10 seconds and dunk in an ice bath to stop the cooking. The arugula then gets put in a paper towel where I squeeze out all of the excess water. 



The arugula then goes into a mixing bowl and tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. 


Sliced bread from a baguette then gets put under the broiler to toast. I love the fresh baguettes from Whole Foods!

Now I'm ready to plate. The arugula and peperonata get put in the center of the plate, the goat cheese truffles get placed on top, the toast points go next to the truffles, and I drizzle some quality extra-virgin olive oil around the salad. 


Again, simple yet bold flavors that really work. I would prefer the arugula to be raw and dressed like a salad but my wife didn't mind it prepared this way. In fact, her plate was just about licked clean. Always nice to start the new year off right. 

Before I sign off, I want to mention this cool website out there called omaze.com where people can bid on fun celebrity experiences and the money raised goes to AIDS research. I mention this because Mario is auctioning off a chance to travel to NYC to meet him and have dinner at Otto, have a private meal, and be a guest on The Chew. This is like a dream experience for all of us orange-clog fans. I'm entered in, fingers crossed, but glad that at least it's for a good cause. The website is www.omaze.com/Mario. Check it out. 

Until next time...



   





No comments:

Post a Comment