Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Mackerel in Scapece with Lemon Thyme and Sweet Peppers

Over the past week I have really been working on this blog and how it looks to all of my readers out there. I probably should've done some research or taken a class or two about Blogger and how it works before I started doing this project. It seemed really simple to use when I first started posting back in 2014, but now I find it a struggle with even the simplest of changes and tweaks. To my eye, the blog could always look and flow better than it does. 

I make this blog entirely on my iPad. I don't use an expensive camera, nor do I write my posts on a laptop. It's all on here which makes it so easy to assemble once everything is completed. Half of the time I talk into my hands-free set so that I don't even have to labor over typing, like today. 

I think the overall read-ability could be better along with the graphics. How do you feel about it? It is a free blog site and not my own website domain. That would require a lot more technical  expertise that I just don't have nor care to acquire. Plus, using Blogger keeps everything free and we like free. It allows me to have the extra cash to buy some of the more off beat ingredients found in this book. 

If you're out there and have any suggestions on how to make the blog better please let me know. Subscribing to this blog via email is probably the easiest way to read it and the free emails come to you on autopilot. The link for that is up on the top of the page. I never thought that anyone would ever see these pages but me, but Blogger tells me that we are up to almost 2300 page views which is just incredible! I thank you for hanging in with me. 

Holyoke completely missed out on blizzard Jonas this week, so I had no trouble making it to Whole Foods to see what was looking good. I like to look at produce first and the seafood department right afterwards. They had some nice looking whole mackerel so I made sure it came home with me. 

Mario describes mackerel as a trash fish that's quite oily so in this recipe we'll cook the mackerel with plenty of acid to counteract that. 

I start by filleting the mackerel then cutting it into 2-inch diamonds. 





Then, in a sauté pan I add vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, thyme, red pepper flakes, saffron, salt and pepper. It gets brought up to a simmer and the fish chunks are added. They get cooked through, but being thin fish it should only take about 5 minutes. Once done, the fish is cooled in the liquid. 


In another sauté pan I heat olive oil and add diced red bell peppers. 


Once softened I add sliced garlic, sugar, and mustard seeds. 


Now that my components are finished I am ready to plate. The mackerel is arranged in a stack on the plate, the saffron liquid gets spooned over the top, and the peppers are sprinkled around.   




Both my wife and I really liked this antipasto. I loved the rich fat and acidic balance that Mario gave to this. I would certainly make this again. The longest part was filleting the fish, but the more you practice the easier it gets. And if you're a squeamish one, just have your fish monger do it for you. 

Well that was quite a simple post. The next one promises to be much more intricate and is something that I've been wanting to try for so long. Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment